In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Abbot Historical Society

The Moosehorns, Monson

Contributed by Abbot Historical Society
MMN Item 10729 Item Details
The Moosehorns, Monson
MMN Item 10729 Zoom

Description

The first set of Moosehorns were erected as a guidepost in 1817 by Joseph Bearce of Hebron to mark the divergence of the trail from Blanchard to Monson, where he was the first settler. New horns were erected in 1822 by William Weeks and mulitple sets have been replacements over the years. In 1961, the Tisbury Manor Chapter of the DAR in Monson placed a bronze plaque on the site to permanently mark its history.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.